Responsibilities of the County Recorder
- Makes a complete, accurate and permanent record of every document pertaining to the conveyance and encumbrance of land within the county.
- Maintains permanent land records, retains them in archival form and makes them constantly accessible to the public.
- Enforces more than 1200 sections of the state law in the Ohio Revised Code (ORC) pertaining to the duties of the Recorder’s Office.
- Takes great care to ensure that every document received is accurately filed, recorded and indexed.
- Serves on the county’s RECORD COMMISSION which authorizes the retention of county records and determines when or how these government records may be disposed.
- Serves as secretary and chief administrator of the county’s MICROFILMING BOARD to authorize any purchase, lease or contract for microfilming equipment in the county offices and to oversee the operation of the county’s microfilming center and services.
- Collects fees for documents filed in the Recorder’s office and pays these monies into the county’s general fund and to the state Ohio Housing Trust Fund.
- Maintains an accurate record of all monies appropriated to the Recorder’s office for its operation.
- Performs all accounting functions necessary to the operation of the Recorder’s office including preparation of annual budgets and reports, vouchers, purchase orders etc., and maintains all payroll records, sick and vacation leave records and other records pertaining to the Recorder’s staff.
- Files annually an ethics report, inventory of office equipment, affirmative action report, depository agreements for funds and every other report as required by law.
- Notifies the boards of county commissioners and township trustees annually of their duty to file zoning resolutions, maps and amendments.
COVID-19 OFFICE POLICY:
- The Recorder is currently limiting the number of persons allowed in the office due to the arrangement and the small footprint of the office, therefore you are encouraged to call in advance of your visit when possible.
- We will continue to conduct business by phone, fax and email as appropriate.
- To help keep our employees and the community safe, please maintain social distancing of at least 6’, and make use of the hand sanitizer and gloves that are provided when using the public computers, copier and when using the office records.
- We appreciate our customers being responsible for their safety and the safety of others when entering the office and using any additional safety measures that they believe necessary.
- We appreciate your patience as we transition into opening the office back up and as always the opportunity to serve you.