Pregnant women are encouraged to consider breastfeeding as an option for their babies.
- Both mother’s and baby’s health are improved through breast feeding.
- Breast milk provides superior nutrition for babies
- Breast milk has protection from disease
- Human fat in breast milk enhances brain development
- Women who breastfeed lose less blood post delivery
- Women who breastfeed at least 1 year have a reduced risk of
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- high cholesterol
- breast cancer and ovarian cancer
WIC can help women returning to work or school obtain a breast pump to help continue breastfeeding.
To visit the Ohio Department of Health – WIC website for breastfeeding resources
Click on “Breastfeeding Corner” which has links for:
- Hunger Signs
- Calming Your Fussy Baby
- Four Steps to a Great Latch
- Finding a board certified lactation consultant in your area
LaLeche League website: http://www.llli.org
Kellymom website: http://kellymom.com/
This website also offers many links to other sources of reliable information.