The Ohio Adult Protective Services Law was enacted in 1981 and has been revised several times since its passage. The Family Services Unit of the Clinton County Department of Job and Family Services investigates reports of elder abuse in Clinton County, Ohio, determines the need for protective services and provides those necessary services to its clients.
Possible Signs of Elder Abuse
While one sign does not necessarily indicate abuse, here is a list of possible signs that could indicate a problem.
- bruises, welts, and lacerations
- an elder who reports being slapped, kicked, raped or mistreated
- broken bones
- untreated injuries
- torn, stained or bloody underclothing
- dehydration and malnutrition
- untreated bed sores
- unsanitary living conditions such as dirt, lice, soiled bed clothes
- poor personal hygiene such as lice on person, fecal/urine smell
- hazardous or unsafe living conditions such as no running water or no heat
- a caregiver’s refusal to allow visitors to see an elder alone
- unexplained disappearance of funds or valuable possessions
- discovery of an elder’s signature being forged for financial transactions or for the titles of his/her possessions
Reporting Elder Abuse
If you suspect elder abuse, contact the Clinton County Department of Job and Family Services at 937-382-0963. If you feel someone is in immediate danger, dial 9-1-1 immediately.
Be ready to give the elder’s name, address, contact information and details about why you are concerned. You may be asked other questions to help the caseworker better understand the nature of the problem.
You will be asked for your name, address and telephone number just in case the worker needs to ask you some follow-up questions at a later date. In most instances, however, the report will be taken even if you choose not to identify yourself.
If you suspect an elder is being abused or neglected, call the Clinton County Department of Job and Family Services at 937-382-5935. If you feel someone is in immediate danger, dial 9-1-1 immediately.
For more information regarding Adult Protective Services and elder abuse, visit these websites:
- The Ohio Department of Aging
- The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services
- The National Association of State Units on Aging
- The Administration On Aging